Friday, February 15, 2008

The adventures continue in a New Blog !!



This is my last post on this Blog.

The adventures will continue with a New Blog!

As fond as I am of “Waltzing Matilda Around the World”, I am moving my next stories to a new Blog. There are so many stories have not yet been told. The 4 months of my life in Calgary from the Stampede to New Orleans in November has not even been documented!

Here are just some of the highlights to look forward to;

- friendly bets on the Chuck Wagon races at the Stampede
- Three Thanksgivings, “Aussie”, Canadian, and in Texas
- a day pretending to be an Olympic skater with Marc
- dressing up as a giant spoon for Halloween and going two- stepping at a country bar
- buying and carving my first giant jack-o’lantern with Marc
- my first CFL (Canadian gridiron) game, explained by former Canadian college football champion Courtney (Go Stampeders!)
- surprising Marc with Aussie pink champagne and Bison risotto at the Rocky Mountains Food and Wine Festival

- Steph and Tauri, my Seoul-based Aussie mates’ stay with me in Calgary and the smashing Greek plate restaurant

- Winning $250 tickets apiece to see the Calgary Flames play in the NHL

- Laura’s farewell to Calgary
- My farewell at the “Aussie Rules” piano bar in Calgary
- My work farewell, a giant chocolate cake and a fond goodbye to my floor 47 workmates
- My last hockey game and singing the Canadian anthem in tears with Karen, Marc and Victoria

- My wonderful Canadian girlfriends, Karen, Victoria, Ashley, Trish, Melissa, Kelty, both Lisas, Chelsa and other gorgeous people.
- My last snowy November weekend in Lake Louise

And this is all before I even got to New Orleans! I have only given patchy coverage to the recent travels about the world. I will be going back over in more colour and detail with photos. There are so many questions that may remain unanswered if you do not have the new Blog address.

How many pounds weight of Texan Thanksgiving Turkey (TTT) can Laura fit in an oven?

Did Robert (aka “Rent a Pom”) get scared on the New Orleans ghost tour?

What IS in a Hurricane (New Orleans cocktail)?

Complete this joke, “A Texan, and Aussie and a Pom walk into a New Orleans bar…”

Which Louisiana plantation did I see that was used in the filming of “Interview with a Vampire”?

How long does gastro last after 4 straight days of eating beignets, gumbo and jumbalaya?

Where did I have a “Forrest Gump” moment in Washington DC?

How small is the White House?

How many bongo drums can you fit on a New York subway car?

Can you see up the skirt of the Statue of Liberty?

Did Broadway reopen in time for me to see Kevin Kline play Cyrano de Bergerac?

Why are icewine grapes harvested in the dead of night near Niagara Falls?

Has Niagara Falls ever completely frozen over and stopped in winter?

Are Frankfurts really better in Frankfurt? Is it possible to find a hamburger in Frankfurt?

Did I introduce Alistair to Hip hop or to tango dancing at a Eurotrash club in Venice?

Did I row my own boat in Venice?

Did I get robbed in Prague?

Which opera did I get a box seat to see the Prague State Opera perform, during which I weepied myself completely out of tissues?

Does consumption of Guinness in Dublin make you more attractive than any other beer would?

Complete this joke, “A Sth African, a German, a Canadian and an Aussie walk into an Irish pub…”

Did I have to dodge sheep to get to a New Years’ party in the wilds of Scotland?

Did I escape the Haggis?

Which famous politician did I walk past in London?

Who decisively conquered fear of heights to go on the London Eye?

Which incarnation of James Bond (immortalized as a Madame Tussauds’ waxwork) did I try to snuggle up to in London?

How DOES Mary Poppins slide up banisters in London?

Does consumption of Kimjie (pickled cabbage) by Seoul residents at every meal contribute to the curious smell in parts of the city coined by Tauri as “poo corner”?

To whom did I dedicate my bad karaoke (Koreans call karaoke “norebang”) love song offerings to, on my last night in Seoul in front of diplomatic representatives from at least 3 different Western countries?

Was I personally attacked by a space-age remote-controlled toilet in Seoul?

So, if you are interested in reading on, I will be telling all these stories and more in detail to do them justice.

For now I must thank my Calgary work colleagues, and Canadian girlfriends who have been very kind and sent me emails to say they miss me. Laura has been loyally Skyping me over the past few months and Marc, who is still my no.1 favourite Canadian and sweetheart, is looking forward to his own future Australian adventures.

Most of all, I’ve been overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity of my friends and family around the world in the past few months. They have put a roof over my head, given me keys to their homes, fed me, given me local travel advice, helped with my technological problems, taken me or kept me company during entertainments, included me in their invitations to events and even offered extra clothing when I’ve been caught short and cold. My journey would not be possible without the goodness of their hearts. They are;

- Marc (Calgary)
- Laura and Robert (Louisiana and Texas)
- Giles (New York)
- Tim and Hannah (Toronto and Niagara Falls)
- Alistair (Venice and London)
- Rachel, Iain and Adam (Aberdeen)
- Gordon and Russell (Aberdeenshire)
- Duncan and Elaine (Aberdeenshire)
- Barbara, Charlie, Linda, Nancy and “the Clan” (A'shire)
- Susanna and Henry (London)
- Dorothy, Tom, Michael and Kezia (Hampshire)
- Steph and Tauri (Seoul)

So, if you’d like to continue with me, you’ll need to email myself or Laura. If you know us personally you should already have our addresses. Please send a blank email with “Blog me!” in the subject title of the email and the link to the new (and improved) Blog will be forwarded to you.

“Waltzing Matilda, waltzing matilda,
You’ll come a’ waltzing matilda with me…”

1 comment:

Laura said...

We need a list of answers to go with this list of questions.