Monday, September 17, 2007

Royal Tyrell Museum









There is a really ordinary-looking building in Drumheller. It looks flat and small. It looks unimpressive. Like Dr Who's telephone box, this building is a complete understatement on the outside.

The Royal Tyrell Museum houses the biggest collection of intact dinosaur skeletons in the world. I was impressed, boggled, flummoxed and flabbergasted.

The people who run it must really like dinosaurs.

Laura and I had a terrific time. Firstly, she had to explain to me the history of the world with the use of handy maps etc in order to find out when the dinosaurs made their appearance. Next, we went through gallery after gallery of towering dinosaur skeletons. There were even mock-ups of giant beavers (as pictured).

All credit to the ingenuity and dedication of the curators of this museum. They have created a fascinating place that tourists want to visit, with special events catering to interest groups.

Boy scout troops can organise sleepovers in the museum. Now I have never been a 6 year old boy. But if I was one, I can't imagine anything cooler and spookier than sleeping in the shadow of a real, towering T-Rex with all my mates.

It was well worth the trip just to the museum. I highly recommend it to anyone who is visiting Alberta, especially to see the Albertasaurus.

1 comment:

Kelty said...

It was always my dream to work at the Tyrell.